It’s obvious to those of us in or around the business, but you would be surprised how many times bathroom remodellers are asked about mould in the bathroom and its causes. Not only can mould be a sign of underlying issues, simply washing it away may be masking a simple solution.
What is causing this to happen in the first place?
Proper ventilation is crucial in your bathroom. A good fan is #1 in resolving the occurrence of mould, and avoiding more serious moisture related problems. A good way to test your fan to make sure that it is strong enough, is to place a sheet of toilet paper on it while it’s running. If the fan is able to keep the sheet of tissue in place via it’s suction power, then you are in good shape. However, if the fan isn’t strong enough to hold this piece of paper tissue up, a replacement fan would be a wise investment.
Step #2, would be to make sure that you do not leave the door closed 100% of the way when you exit the bathroom after a shower or bath. Leaving a crack in the door will help the fan to do its job, or leave a window open if feasible. The fan should be left to run for a solid 20-30 minutes after the fact. This time frame, coupled with the good ventilation will help the fan circulate the air, withdraw moisture and force air out of the bathroom more efficiently in order to avoid that mould buildup.
Following the 2 simple steps will help to preserve your bathroom from moisture damage for many years to come.
You can find good bathroom fans at the Local New Sudbury Home Depot, Lowes, and independent retailers in New Sudbury like The Bath Depot and Bath Solutions.